Slow-cooked pork ribs with salted soy beans, garlic, red chili

This is how my family cooks and steams pork ribs at home - with tau cheo (salted soy beans), LOTS of garlic and LOTS of sliced red chilli. A simple meat dish that quite often appeared on the dinner table - the garlicky gravy will just make me hungry for more rice (even it's not curry and other spicy dishes like this ). I did not have any secret home recipe to follow, but based on my memory on taste, these pork ribs I replicated in my humble lil' kitchen here, turned out a success. I chose to slow-cook the ribs though, instead of steaming them. Just as great. Yummy!

All my pork ribs sitting in a row, all my pork ribs sitting in a row; when one gets "out" the rest will "frown", oh my pork ribs I gonna eat you now.


Served with some green leafy vegetables, and a plate of steaming rice - juicy pork ribs, the "star" here.

Slow cooked pork ribs with salted soy beans-tau cheo, garlic and chilli (serve ~4)
Ingredients:
- 1.5-2lb pork ribs
- 1-2 tbsp salted soy beans, mashed
- 3-4tsp minced garlic
- 3 red chillies (chopped)
-1tsp crushed ginger
- dash of black vinegar
- dash of sesame oil

Marinade:
- 1tsp cane sugar
- 1tbsp shaoxing cooking wine
- dashes white pepper
- 1-2tsp corn starch
-1tsp dark soy sauce
(Marinate pork ribs and leave in fridge for about 1 hr)

Method:
1. Heat some oil, stir fry garlic, chilli, mashed soy beans and ginger until fragrant.
2. Add seasoning and mix well
3. Add in marinated pork ribs into the slow cooker and top will garlic+ chilli+ soy bean mixture
4. Cook on high 45mins, then turn to low and cook for 1-2 hrs

Juicilious - ribilicious. It has a strong garlicky flavor but does not overpower the entire dish.

Often seen, served as a rice set in some Chinese food stalls serving double-boiled soup-back in Singapore. This can be "categorized"as one of my comfort favorites amongst this, this, this, and this. (P.S. The other version, commonly seen as a dim-sum item, is the fermented black beans version.)

Since I'm on the "meat" topic, I would like to take the opportunity to mention the Cook and Eat Meat event taking place at HomemadeS. This event is in the effort to raise the awareness for women around the world to eat meat in order to correct the iron level. More information is found in the link provided.

Tag: , ,