Pasta in Tomato-Chicken Curry Sauce

When I use fresh tomatoes and attempt to use only their natural juice as a sauce base, I never make a good classic bolognese - most recipes seem to be always calling for tomato paste which I do not have (and I have not used bottled pasta sauces for a long time now). Maybe I was too impatient and did not simmer those fresh whole tomatoes for a long enough time to get the sauce.


I fall back to my usual home-cooking fare and flair of whipping up something tasty and as comforting. Add in some ground chicken and curry powder in an attempt to make some kind of tomato-curry sauce; then totally created a homey pasta dish with the curry-factor, for myself.



Pasta in Tomato-Chicken Curry Sauce
Ingredients: 1 medium size tomato, chopped to bite-size; 1/2 pound ground chicken; 1 small red onion, chopped to bite-size; 2 cloves garlic, finely minced; pinch of cumin and fennel, 1 tsp curry powder; pinch of turmeric; salt and black pepper to taste; cooked shell pasta (~2 servings)

Directions: Heat some oil in the pan. Fry the onions till slightly tender, then add garlic, cumin, fennel, curry powder, turmeric and fry till fragrant. Add in tomatoes, breaking up the tomatoes into smaller pieces in the pan. After about 5 minutes, add in the ground chicken, also breaking up into smaller bits in the pan. Then fry the entire tomato-chicken mixture briskly in the pan. Add about 5 to 6 tablespoons of water and allow the mixture to simmer at low-heat for about 8-10 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. Add in cooked pasta and mix well with the sauce. The pasta should be absorbing most of the curry sauce.

I am getting this dish to 5 Star Makeover Pasta. Though I did not make a good bolognese out of fresh tomatoes, I saved it with this tomato-chicken curry sauce pasta. You can send in your pasta entries by 2 May 2010 to this event.


Tag: ,


An Escape to Food on Facebook