Monday, July 11, 2011

Asparagus, Bell Peppers, Celery, Woodear Mushrooms Stir-Fry

I miss vegetables every time I am out for a vacation, road trip etc. The vegetables I cook at home! Those, I miss and crave! Recently, as soon as I return from a short vacation, I went crazy on the produce aisles...

at Sprouts Farmers Market (for asparagus cabbage, broccoli, tomatoes);
Trader Joes (for organic bell peppers, organic celery, more tomatoes, organic eggs, organic milk, bread);
99 Ranch (for lotus root, winter melon, watercress, Chinese celery); and
Whole Foods Market (for radishes, bittermelon, organic carrots, organic arugula, organic bi-color corn, more tomatoes).

Together with the fruits (cantaloupe, oranges, grapefruit, bananas, white peaches, nectarines, cherries) - I spent almost $60!!! A lot but it's "feel-good" "is-good" spending cos' it means I'll be having more vegetables for the subsequent weeks! Yay!

How much do you spend on groceries, and how much on produce?


Also, I have the luxury to do (many) mixed-veggie stir-fries. I did one with lotus root, Chinese celery, carrots, red bell peppers (plus some leftover shredded duck). Then I also did this one, a vegetarian Four-Veggies Stir Fry

Four-Veggie Stir-Fry
Ingredients: celery, asparagus, bell peppers, black fungus /woodear (you can see how I cut and slice the veggies); aromatics - thinly sliced shallots and garlic; seasonings - sea salt and ground white pepper

Directions: Aromatize the shallots, then add garlic and the vegetables (sequence: celery, followed by asparagus, bell peppers and woodear mushrooms). fry briskly till veggies turn tender. Salt and pepper to taste

Crunchy colorful vegetable stir-fry! So flavorful too!

Sharing this with Hearth and Soul.

Tag: ,



An Escape to Food on Facebook