Pan-Fried Radish Cake 煎萝卜糕 (简易版)

As I am not good with using (measuring) flour of any kind (the reason why I don't bake), my understanding of flour is also limited. I always thought that making Chinese radish cake (Lo Bak Ko) is a time-consuming process which involves grating the daikon, cooking the daikon, steaming the daikon-flour mix to form a "cake" (or kuih), then pan-frying the daikon cake. That makes me very resistant and reluctant to take the first step.

But it's (one of) my favorite food!!!


What if there is a short-cut? Skip one step and save at least 25% of the time? What if?

You can skip the pan-frying and have steamed Chinese radish cake. Or skip the steaming, perhaps? I chanced upon a cooking show which practically does that - skip the steaming, directly pan-frying the daikon-flour mix on the pan. Amazed. SOLD.


It is not surprising when I tried to search the Internet and found most recipes call for steaming, as part of the time-consuming process. Then this "no-steam" version from Kitchen Tigress, stood out, a proof for me that directly pan-frying the daikon-flour mix on the pan actually does work!!!

I am so trying that.


 Pan-Fried Daikon Cake  煎萝卜糕
As I did not have the regular Chinese sausage, my adaption was using ground chicken/pork, mushrooms, Sakura/Ebi dried shrimps, shallots and scallions as the flavor punch to the daikon. Also my version was adapted without the use of glutinous rice flour.

This pan-fried daikon cake is on the drier-side and I do not dare claim it is as good as the version you can get in some dim-sum eateries but it is homemade and decently delectable in my opinion.

Tag: ,


An Escape to Food on Facebook