Perilla Leaf, Egg, Cucumber Sandwich

Other than the regular grocery stores e.g. Sprouts Farmers Market, Trader Joes, and Whole Foods Market, there are also Korean, Japanese, Chinese grocery stores in the vicintiy. These stores are where I discover new ingredients - ingredients that typically don't show up in the regular stores.


Visiting the Korean supermarket reminded me of the Korean dishes I have made in the past e.g. Easy and Healthy Korean Bibimbap, Korean Spicy Tofu, Korean Spicy Chilled Tofu. I realized it has been some time since I prepared any Korean dishes! However, even with the perilla leaves from the Korean supermarket, sandwiches instead of Korean dishes came to mind. Where is that Korean spark? I wonder.

Popular in Korean cuisine, perilla leaves are commonly used as a wrap for rice, barbecued meats and vegetables, so I don't see any conflict by layering the leaves into this egg, apple and cucumber sandwich. With herb nuances of mint, basil and anise, the perilla leaves brought an ordinary egg sandwich to life.



Perilla Leaf, Egg, Cucumber Sandwich
Ingredients:
2 slices whole-wheat bread
2-3 perilla leaves
1 hard-boiled egg, sliced
4-5 thin slices of cucumber
2 thin slices of apple
Pinch of freshly ground pepper

Directions: Layer the ingredients onto whole-wheat bread(as shown), and enjoy!

Sharing with Hearth and Soul

Tag: ,

An Escape to Food on Facebook