Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Sardines, Onions, Tomato Curry - 辣炒沙丁鱼

Those of you who follow my blog will know that I love sardines quite a bit. What to do when I have 12 cans of Brisling Sardines? That means I can cook sardines curry again and again! So good to have this with steamed rice.


With a flavorful and comforting dish like this, I don't think I will ever come up with new recipes because I will cook this dish every time (in fact, I COOK this dish every time) I want to have some sardines. It's quick. It's easy. It's delicious.




Sardines with Tomatoes, Onions and Spices 辣炒沙丁鱼
Start off by aromatizing cumin, fennel, ground coriander and turmeric (1-2 pinches each), then add in onions (1/2 medium size, rough chop), ginger (few thin slices), garlic (3 cloves, bruised and coarsely chopped), followed by tomatoes (1 medium, chopped to bite-size ). Add 1tbsp curry powder (Note: I use the Babas brand). Fry mixture briskly. When it starts to sizzle, open 2 cans of sardines - first, add the "liquid" from the can of sardines (spring water that they are basked in) into the pot and fry thoroughly. For spice, add red chili flakes. When mixture starts to simmer lightly, add a litte more water accordingly for some gravy

When simmering again, add the sardines and lightly mash them into the curry mixture. Allow the flavors to infuse for about 5 minutes.


Yummy!

Now, I'm left with 10 cans of sardines.

This dish is also good as filling in sandwiches or even in butter croissants.


The last photo is the dish cooked on a separate occasion. They look pretty consistent, huh? Practice makes perfect.

Tag: ,


An Escape to Food on Facebook