Dark Chocolates? Milk Chocolates? White Chocolates?

Published widely: Dark chocolate, the richer in cocoa the better.

I've read it before.

Cocoa is rich in antioxidant flavonoids called flavanols. When cocoa is processed into your favorite chocolate products, it goes through several steps to reduce its naturally pungent taste. Flavonoids (polyphenols) provide this pungent taste. The more chocolate is processed (such as fermentation, alkalizing, roasting), the more flavonoids are lost. Eating (dark) chocolate can boost the level of heart-protecting antioxidants in the blood, according to several scientific studies.

I know, but I'm no health freak who likes guilt-free chocolates or sweets.

My love for dark chocolates is simply on the taste and flavor (not because of health reasons). I enjoy that hint of bitterness - the pure deep chocolate flavor.

China's Deng Xiaopingwhite cat, black cat” theory (“No matter if it’s a white cat or a black cat; as long as it can catch mice, it’s a good cat") does not work here, or I would have punned it to: "No matter if it's white chocolate or dark chocolate; as long as it's edible, it's just chocolate"

60% is not "dark" enough for me. No, no... 70% does not satisfy my "dark" desire either. 73% ? 80% ? Well, 73% super-dark works fine for me. Pure indulgence. I'm still looking for the perfect dark, leaving it to chance.

One fine day, 100% cacao unsweetened chocolate really came by chance. Despite "baking bar" being obvious, in print, I thought I would be up to the challenge of nibbling this perfect dark. I've equated 100% cacao unsweetened chocolate to 100% dark chocolate. I'm happy.

But I'm wrong. That 100% cacao unsweetened chocolate (unsweetened chocolate is pure chocolate liquor) - downright bitter to the extent of pungent...on my taste buds. Being a baking idiot, I would not have known this. I've seen 70%+ dark chocolates being marked for baking purposes and these chocolates are so good...so good that I can eat and nibble on it, as-is, like a biscuit or cookie.

Do you enjoy, or have you nibbled on unadulterated chocolate 100% cacao unsweetened chocolate ? Which variety of chocolates do you like?


Tag: , ,