Vegetarian roll - beancurd skin roll with tofu, celery, mushrooms fillings

I have promised that you won't get deep-fried food from me so often, and I'm still holding to it. Moreover, I'm preparing some healthyish party food over at Clumsy Cooks-Blog or Bust, so how can I justify deep-frying on that? Other than some healthy nutritious food I've prepared here and here to beat the summer heat, this is another healthy beancurd-tofu roll I made, inspired from a similar vegetarian roll I've had over at Sogo Tofu, De Anza Blvd. My homemade vegetarian beancurd rolls definitely have more ingredients (refer list below) than the store-bought rolls which I only tasted celery and mushrooms.

Vegetarian Beancurd Roll (makes ~6 rolls)
Ingredients:
- some beancurd sheets, and nori sheets (Note: If you cannot get beancurd sheets, you can substitute by spring roll wrappers, but you may have to deep-fry the final product)
-1 pack regular firm tofu
- 1-2 cups brown crimini mushrooms, chopped finely to small pieces (Note: Substitute with shitake mushrooms if you wish)
- 1 stalk of celery, cleaned throughly, chopped to small pieces
- 1 cup mixed (frozen) vegetables - corn, carrots, peas and/or long beans
- 1tbsp oyster sauce
- salt and pepper to taste

Method:
1. Heat a little oil in a saute pan and stir fry the mushrooms, celery and mixed vegetables. Add in oyster sauce and some salt and pepper to taste
2. Turn off heat and allow the mixture to cool.
3. Meanwhile, mash the tofu in a deep mixing bowl. When the vegetable mixture has cooled slightly, add the mixture into the mashed tofu and mix well
4. While waiting for mixture to cool, prepare the beancurd sheets (Note: available in most Asian supermarkets) and nori sheets
5. Wrap the rolls like what I did to my shrimp rolls
6. Steam the rolls for 6-8mins to soften the beancurd skin and warm up the entire tofu fillings (Note: If you have uncooked meat in the rolls, steaming is one way to cook the meat before deep-frying. Usually, the deep-frying, particularly if the rolls are big and fat, is done just to give that nice golden brown outer on the rolls, and not to cook the meat inside the rolls)
Soft and warm on the inside
7. Before serving, bake and warm in oven, ~5-8 mins, to get some crispness on the rolls (Note: This will also ensure your guests are always served warm food)

For non-vegetarian yet still healthy versions, do check out my shrimp and turkey version or Rasa Malaysia's minced chicken and pork version.

It's Blog or Bust, anyway. I reckon an additional fruit "cake" won't do any extra harm. This is what I love about summer - not the heat but the bountiful of fruits. Here, we have the reddest-ruby-hued strawberries with the bright orange sweet fleshed cantaloupe. Have a "slice" of this "cake".

Tag: , , , , ,