Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Roasted Cauliflower Tomato-Based Pasta

I seldom roast my vegetables. While roasted peppers is common as a side-dish or as an ingredient in pasta or pasta sauce, I am more in love with roasted cauliflowers, which as a matter of fact, the only vegetable I have roasted. I have made roasted cauliflowers for some time but have not done enough justice by telling you how simple and tasty this is. And recently, I found that adding these roasted cauliflowers to a tomatoey pasta sauce gives an added ray of new flavor to the pasta.


If I want roasted cauliflower, I usually do that in the oven. But since I am having pasta today, I was thinking to "roast" them directly on my pan and retain the flavor remnants, for the pasta sauce I am going to make. Here's how.

Roasted Cauliflower in Tomato-Based Pasta
Ingredients: [Spices for Cauliflower] pinch of cumin, fennel, salt, black pepper; curry powder, turmeric; cauliflower florets, rinsed and blanched;1-2 tomato, cut into wedges; 1 small onion, thinly sliced; 2-3 gloves garlic, minced; pinch of cumin, turmeric and curry powder; salt and black pepper to taste; cooked pasta (shell pasta, preferred)

Directions: Place the blanched cauliflowers (excess water completely drained) in a mixing bowl, add the spices, cover the bowl with a flat plate and give it a good shake. This will ensure cauliflowers are coated with the spices. Add a little oil(2-3 drops) in a flat pan and when oil is hot, add the cauliflower and give is a good "roast" in the pan till the sides of the florets are browned. Set the florets aside. Add more oil, add in onions, garlic, cumin, turmeric, curry powder and fry till fragrant. Then add in tomatoes, fry briskly and let it simmer, covered, till gravy/sauce forms. Add in some water, followed by cauliflower, then allow entire mixture to simmer. Add salt and black pepper to taste. Stir in cooked pasta and allow the pasta to further absorb the sauce. Serve warm.


This pasta goes to Chaya of Sweet and Savory this week's host for the wonderful event Presto Pasta Nights created by Ruth from Once Upon a Feast.

Tag: ,