Indian-Style Vegetarian Fried Noodles

Oh I so love this kind of "new" noodle dish I am frying up at home. Indian spices and lots of vegetables! Yum yum! Other than a warm hearty bowl of soup, spices also work for me, warming me up in the colder months.

I have tried different green vegetables in the same dish. What works? Kale. Baby Bok Choy. Baby Choi Sum.

Indian-Style Fried Vegetarian Noodles
Ingredients: Quarter wedge of round cabbage, thinly sliced; 1-2 small carrots, grated; 1-2 celery stalks grated; 3-4 small bunches green vegetables, stems and leaves separated (Note: Stems will be added first, for frying; then the leaves, see Directions below); 6 fresh shitake mushroom caps, thinly sliced; some fresh woodear mushrooms; 2 cloves garlic, finely minced; quarter of onion, thinly sliced; few slices of ginger; 1tsp curry powder; pinch of cumin, fennel, turmeric; salt and pepper to taste; 2 servings of cooked noodles (Note1: Sometimes, I use instant noodles. You can use pasta if you prefer).

Directions: In a wok of heated oil, fry the onion, ginger and garlic till fragrant. Add cumin and fennel seeds to toast and fry till fragrant. Add half the curry powder and fry with the mixture to exude more spice flavor. Add the grated carrot and celery and fry quickly, mix well. Add the cabbage and vegetable stems and fry well with the rest of the other vegetables. Add in mushrooms and black fungus. Mix well. Add pinch of turmeric and mix well. If mixture is too dry, add 2-3 tbsp of water. Salt and pepper to taste. Cover the wok and allow to simmer till cabbage turns tender. Add in remaining vegetables (leaves) last, fry and mix well. Then add in noodles and fry with all the vegetable. Mix well so that vegetables and noodles are mixed thoroughly. Let the noodles absorb all the remaining "water"(gravy) of the vegetables. Serve warm.

This is my noodle dish for for Presto Pasta Night (PPN #188) this week, hosted by Ruth of Once upon A Feast.



Cooking such a noodle dish is easy. The part that takes the most time is actually the prep -- cutting the vegetables.

Some of you use a grater/slicer for thinly or finely slicing celery, carrots, cabbage etc., but somehow, I prefer the so-called "traditional" way of slicing, cutting and chopping using a knife.

I do not have the most expensive kitchen knife and frankly, it is not that sharp. I may invest in a good (sharp) knife next but meantime, I have bought the Chef's Choice Pronto 2-stage (proudly made in the US) for sharpening my old blunt knives. Reviews for this product seem to be good + serves my current need. I would really like to know what kind of kitchen knives you are using and how do you keep them razor-sharp?

Tag: ,


An Escape to Food on Facebook