Parchment-Steamed Vegetables - Fresh, Easy

As much as I enjoy stir-fry vegetables, I do not feel like doing it sometimes. Lazy! What else? There is always a pan/wok to wash - no matter how "clean" the cooking can be.

And I cannot possibly blanch everything. Well, broccoli or cauliflower...yes, ok, blanching. But what about zucchini and red bell peppers? I can't blanch those!

So I resort to parchment-steamed veggies. Parchment so that I can retain as much moisture as possible; and parchment so that I don't have to even wash any dishes. Ha, laziness to the max. but to my advantage!
Who says steamed food is bland? I beg beg beg beg to differ. Maybe it is un-inventive? Or maybe it does not require any technique? Well...as long as I get my food (nutrition) taste light, fresh and naturally flavorful without much fuss in food prep. and cooking, this is daily home-cooked fare for me.

Julienned organic red bell peppers, thinly sliced organic zucchini, broccoli florets and thinly sliced broccoli stems, whole garlic crushed, dash of pepper, pinch of oregano, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. Wrap in parchment and steam for about 8-10minutes. Before serving, pinch of sea salt, toss to combine well.

Quick fresh cooking for the busy you - a cooking tip to share with Tip Day Thursday Carnival, a side dish budget-friendly in terms of time and money!

This is one dish (out of the three dishes) I have prepared for the $20 Budget Meal blog event. There is still time to participate till 27 March 2011. Prepare two (2) dishes and one (1) soup with a budget of $20 (Singapore dollars), equivalent to about US$15. Check out the blog event link for rules and details.


Tag: ,


An Escape to Food on Facebook