Friday, July 13, 2007

Citron honey chicken

Yuja is a round, lemon-like citrus fruit, also known as yuzu in Japanese and English. It has an aroma which cannot be substituted, a powerful acidity and a plentiful supply of vitamin C. Along with berries, this citrus fruit contain antioxidant- flavonoids, unique to the citrus family. In Korea, it is used to create a syrupy tea - Yuja cha. The fruit is thinly sliced (peel, pith and pulp) then soaked or cooked in honey or sugar to create a chunky syrup. This syrupy candied fruit is often mixed with hot water as fragrant tea.

The citron fruit is slow-growing and often preserved in syrup for the cold months - the citron tea made from syrup is often served as a source of fruit in winter. It's not winter in the U.S (still months and months to go...) but I've already turned to Korean honey citron tea (yujacheong) or Yuzu tea.

Citron honey does not come comforting only in winter, it is an all-rounder in my opinion, since I can use it to flavor up my savory dishes all year-all-round. If you use honey and lemon as ingredients in your cooking, citron honey is almost a perfect substitute ingredient - adding that tang factor. "Sweet and sour" poultry and meat dishes can be made a little different and special, by adding citron honey. Absence does not make my heart grow fonder - absence made my heart fluster! Absence of an orange (at time of cooking), and yuzu sauce in Jaden's Asian Orange Ginger Glaze! She said "If there was only one recipe that I had to choose as a “must try” - this is it!". Iron-casted in my mind, so I tried...BUT I cannot stop a flustering heart, I can only... citron honey to the rescue! (Note: Stick to the original recipe if you want the perfect glaze. She's the Xpert!). On the other hand, the citron honey substitution has spawned to an inspired creation here - Citron Honey Chicken. The name by itself is already so tasty. The dish itself - a covet balance of tang and sweet. Thanks, Jaden, for your inspiration. :)


I was quite sure adding citron honey (as the substitute) would not go too wrong since I've done lychee chicken before - another sweet and tangy chicken dish. This citrusy dish will be shared at ARF-Sweetnicks.

The citron honey chicken is definitely a keeper, with the other "chicks" - herbal, satay, braised, deep-fried spicy , & ginger-steamed


Tag: , ,