Kai Lan in Butter and Shallots

The truth is, I am too lazy to stir fry my vegetables (because it ends up with an oily pan to wash). I still do but not all the time. How do I eat my leafy greens, you ask? Short of eating them raw, I consumed blanched or steamed greens most of the times. I am not too sure about greens but some vegetables actually need heat and oil to bring out additional benefits. Examples? Tomatoes. Carrots.


What is a simple stir fry vegetable dish? How I would do it - oil, garlic, oyster sauce, salt and pepper to taste, and of course, the greens.

Then, I decided to try something different. Not out of the world but without any much sauce perhaps. Pantry staples (shallots and garlic) with fresh produce (Kai Lan) and definitely less than 15 minutes.

Kai Lan in Butter and Shallots (serves 2)
Ingredients:
1/2 tablespoon butter
1 clove garlic, finely minced
2 shallots, finely sliced
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon water
1 bunch of Kai Lan, slightly blanched

Directions:
Add butter to heated pan and when butter melts, add in shallots and fry till slightly soft and caramelized, followed by garlic and fry till fragrant. Add Kai Lan and mix well. Add water, salt and pepper, cover pan and let it simmer for 1 minute. Done!

The butter definitely gives more flavor and body though it may not be the best cooking oil to use compared to extra-virgin olive oil and other vegetable oil. So it's up to you to do that variation.

Do you have a favorite all-time fall-back recipe when it comes to Going Green? You should take part in NTTC #4. This is my second time participating (I've taken part before here).



Tag: , ,