Roasted (Parboiled) New Potatoes with Herbs and Shallots

I love the shape (round) and size (small) of these new potatoes - the young potatoes! I don't have to cube them further like what I did in this roasted potato recipe. With these young-lings, I rinse them quite thoroughly in running water (cos' I will be eating thy skins), then boil for about 10 minutes or less, to slightly cook it (about 70-80% cooked).

When cooled, I make slight cuts and crosses on each potato so that my seasonings can get right in. Yay!


It's not early. In a couple more months, it will be summer. How about doing this on a Camping Grill ?


Roasted New Potatoes with Shallots and Herbs
Ingredients: Potatoes prepared as above; garlic, minced; shallots, minced; rosemary, oregano, basil (I use a mix of dried herbs); unsalted butter; salt and pepper

Directions: Mix the potatoes with seasonings in a bowl (put everything in a deep mixing bowl, cover bowl with a plate and give it a good shake while holding the plate to cover the bowl). Place everything on a lined (with foil) baking tin or tray. Wrap the potatoes partially in foil and roast them in a pre-heated oven (to finish cooking) at ~200degC for about ~10mins


Partially boiling the potatoes before roasting/baking them render them moist after oven roasting! The sequence will be parboil -- make "cuts"-- season -- roast. For outdoor camping, you can skip the parboiling step. Make sure the potatoes are clean, poke some holes on them using a fork, then use the same recipe above to season, wrap them in aluminum foil and put them on a camping grill.

These Roasted Potatoes can be served with either Roasted Chicken , Baked Fish Fillet or Fish Kebab together with either Roasted Cauliflower, Spicy Green Beans or Sauteed Celery and Carrots.

Mr Potato: Do you know your potatoes well? 
Do you get a particular variety for a specific recipe? Yukon or Russet? Red or Yellow?

Me: I do not know my potatoes very well. I admit. I hardly buy potatoes to make a dish on its own. Usually, I get potatoes when I want to cook chicken curry and I go for Russet-type potatoes for that. Did I do it right?


Tag: ,